Friday 31 August 2007

Princess still dead: clear the schedules

I never thought I'd find myself in agreement with former Living Marxism editor Mick Hume, but his column in today's Times on the 'mourning sickness' that still surrounds Diana Spencer, 10 years after her death, is spot on.

I turned on Radio 4 around midday today, expecting to hear a bit of light consumer news on 'You and Yours' as I prepared my lunch, but instead found myself listening to the Diana memorial service. I hurriedly switched to Radio 5 Live, and was astonished to find the station carrying the very same service. And it was being broadcast simultaneously on BBC 1.

OK, so it may have been just about excusable to clear the schedules 10 years ago, to cover the shock news of the Princess' death, and for her funeral a week later - but a memorial service, after all this time, live on three BBC channels? The thought crossed my mind that this was another stage in the BBC's grovelling campaign to win back Establishment approval after the storm in a teacup over the royal temper-tantrum affair.

No comments: